NOBARA 38 RELEASED!
New to Nobara: (also backported to Nobara 37 except AV1 and Davinci Resolve changes)
– Davinci Resolve workaround: will detect if davinci resolve installer has been run from terminal, and after installation will prompt for user to run a wizard to perform additional actions. This wizard will perform the workaround required for Davinci Resolve to run (moving DR-shipped glib2 libraries to a backup folder): (https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=180116)
– payday 2 workaround: will detect if the native linux version of payday 2 is run, and if so will use the zink driver to run it, as the opengl implementation is currently broken, and the native version is no longer receiving official support. (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/06/overkill-drops-linux-support-for-payday-2/) ()
– rule added so that 045e:028e “xbox 360” controller devices are forced to use the kernel xpad driver. this allows devices such as the gpd win max 2 and gpd win 4 (which report as this device for the controls) to retain controller support while still also allowing the optional xone/xpadneo driver to be installed when users need wireless dongle and/or better bluetooth support for xbox one controllers
– rules added to set specific io schedulers for different devices types:
– rules added to add rtc0 and hpet to the audio group for mitigating audio stutter/latency
– variable refresh rate (vrr) patches updated/rebased and applied to mutter 44
– gstreamer 1.22 has been patched with av1 support (MR found here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/-/merge_requests/3015)
– obs-vaapi av1 support is now functional
– AMF av1 support is now functional (still requires AMD pro encoder: https://nobaraproject.org/docs/obs-studio/enabling-amds-amf-encoder/)
– mesa 23.1.3 built on llvm 15. We shipped using llvm 15 instead of Fedora’s current llvm 16 due to llvm 16 causing breakage in Team Fortress 2 (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/8847)
– mesa patched to enable vaapi av1 encode support
Nobara Package Manager/yumex:
– now able to manage flatpaks
– cleaned up packages that would previously show upgrades available if overridden (for example we ship llvm 15 and override the default, but the default llvm 16 would show as available to update)
– ‘Update System’ button added for easy updating. Launches Nobara’s ‘Update System’ app.
– ‘Update System’ app pinned in menu as the official way to update the system. Explanation here: https://nobaraproject.org/docs/upgrade-troubleshooting/how-do-i-update-the-system/
– Blender has been patched so that it launches with WAYLAND_DISPLAY=””. This is because under wayland sometimes the menus can render incorrectly to where they are not easily clickable or navigatable. Running it with WAYLAND_DISPLAY=”” resolves the issue.
– Can now execute files and/or open folders as administrator within nautilis via right click menu
– fedora flatpak repos removed as they are largely unused.
If you are upgrading and you have flatpaks installed from the fedora repo you will need to remove them and reinstall them from the flathub repo. You can do this within Nobara Package Manager, GNOME Software, or KDE Discover.
– flathub flatpak repos are now the default and are also enabled for both system and users
– workaround for recent user update crash added (https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/2900)
– davinci resolve wizard added to nobara welcome app under optional steps
All other Fedora 38 package changes are included.
Why were the AV1 changes not backported?
– FFmpeg 6.0 is required. It has way too many other packages that depend on it that would need to be rebuilt and maintained. Nobara+Fedora 37 are still on FFmpeg 5.
– Gstreamer 1.22 is required. Nobara+Fedora 37 ship with Gstreamer 1.20 which is not compatible with the av1 encoder merge request.
Why wasn’t the Davinci Resolve change backported?
– The Davinci Resolve issue was caused by an update in glib2 which removed a function that was called in the previous version by libpango. Since Nobara+Fedora 37 are still on the old version of glib2, the function still exists in that version, therefore they are not affected.